News Round Up: 13 remain in Racing Post Trophy
Thirteen entrants remain in the running for this Saturday’s Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster, with Aidan O’Brien still responsible for six. It had been thought that Royal Navy Ship and Giovanni Canaletto would be the likely representatives for Ballydoyle in the Group 1 contest but, although they remain in the entries, O’Brien told the Racing Post today that it is more likely that Jacobean and Aloft will line up.
He said: “It now looks as if we will be represented by Aloft and/or Jacobean in the Racing Post Trophy and that Royal Navy Ship and Giovanni Canaletto will go to Leopardstown at the weekend instead.”
Order Of St George and Hans Holbein are other O’Brien charges among the entries for Doncaster’s showpiece, for which Royal Lodge winner Elm Park still heads the market at around 5/2 for Andrew Balding, with Sir Mark Prescott’s unbeaten Celestial Path and John Gosden’s Snoano also to the head of the market. Best Of Times, Restorer, Tupi and Cock Of The North complete the line-up.
On the track, Deputy Dan was surprisingly beaten on his Chasing debut at Fontwell. Last year’s Albert Bartlett runner-up was expected to easily brush aside his two rivals in the Beginners’ Chase, but had to settle for second best behind Paul Nicholls’ Virak, who was given a quote of 20-1 from Paddy Power for the JLT Novices’ Chase in the aftermath.
Over at Worcester the drinks were on Tom Scudamore who recorded a treble on the card. Younger brother Michael provided Scudamore with victory in the opening Handicap Chase on-board No Through Road who was getting off the mark at the 19th time of asking.
Just half an hour later he was back in the winner’s enclosure again after victory on Rebecca Curtis’ Lookslikerainted and the treble was brought up by the impressive looking Binge Drinker in the first division of the Maiden Hurdle for the same trainer.
In disappointing news we found out that Timmy Murphy is likely to be out of action for the remainder of the year due to ongoing shoulder injuries. Murphy has been out of action since January after dislocating his shoulder for a second time in a few months and he has said today that he may require more surgery before he climbs back into the saddle.
He said: “The shoulder is still the same. In another six weeks I’m going back to see them and they will have another look at it and see if there’s anything else they can do.
“It’s already been operated on once in March but it’s very complicated, all the ligaments and everything need to knit together.
“I won’t be back this side of Christmas, put it that way.”
By Kevin Walsh / Photos: Niall Carson/PA Wire / Chris Ison/PA Archive
Signup to our RSS feed